Tuesday, November 9, 2010

1 Year!

We had our one year anniversary last week. We have owned a restaurant for one year! That seems like a pretty good success, right? Things are not perfect by any means. But, the first 2 years of owning a restaurant are the hardest and at 1 year, we are doing well. That seems like something to be proud of.

We had a party for our staff last Sunday. It was so so great. Many of us are pretty good friends. Of course, we're the bosses (my husband and I). So besides our manager (who we met in college) and my brother, there is a line there. Some we're closer with than others, as always. I had visions of our party being a bonding experience.

We invited everyone to our home. We had it catered, for once we were not cooking. Most of the people who worked for us were there. We have 2 teenagers who work for us, a 20 year old and a mix of people in there 20's and early 30's. So it was interested to have everyone over together to hang out. I was given a copy of this karaoke singstar game. I asked the 16 year old who works for me to bring his playstation over (how hilarious is that?). I wasn't sure how it was going to go down. I said, we're going to karaoke, haha. Everyone laughed and said, yeah, right. Well, we broke out the game and it was perfect. Everyone sang, the good, the bad, the younger, the older. It was hilarious. We laughed. The only people who didn't sing were the 16 year old who brought his playstation over and the Mexican cook who can't read much English. I would love to know what was going through their heads. They were both smiling, laughing and just watching from the back.

I like to think we bonded, we definitely had fun. Some of us were very good singers, I was one of the worst. But it didn't matter. My song came on. "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" And I rocked it anyway. Fun times.

Now I'm off to make my Christmas lists.

1 comment:

Mama Bub said...

I would have been hiding in a corner if a karaoke machine was there, but sounds like it was a great ice breaker!