Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ticks



I found a tick on Ella today. Whenever I find a tick I get so grossed out for the rest of the day. I constantly feel like I must have something crawling on me. The thought of the tick crawling around on my kids is just so gross. We happen to live in a place where lyme disease is extremely prevalent. I hate that about our area. I check the kids nightly for ticks. Ella especially scares me because of her crazy hair. It would be so easy for a little tick to hide out in that hair. I know at least 6 people with lyme disease and that is without me really stopping to think about it at all. Chances are someone in our family will have it at some point. What can be done about it? Nothing at all. I feel like we just sit and wait.
Of course, we can check the kids nightly. But those e buggers are tiny, it would be easy to miss one.

There are some beautiful areas around us. Lots of great places for nature walks and hikes. It is unfortunate that every place that is the most beautiful has a very high chance of ticks there. Last year the girls and I went on a hike. We were wearing long pants and shirts and yet when we came home between the three of us I found 8 ticks on us. On the drive home Samantha said, "there's a spider on my leg". I looked and it was a tick.

You'll have to excuse me after this conversation I feel like I have ticks crawling up my back... yuck.


Picture of my little Ella Bella and Innisfree Garden (from there website).

1 comment:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh! This happened to us a couple weeks ago. Thankfully Carter noticed it on Gray's hairline- it was HUGE and I am so glad we caught it so soon. And yes- for the next several days I was checking myself and the kids like a fiend!!!

Steph