Thursday, September 16, 2010

I've just been working to get back into the grove of preschool/work. It's nice. It's nice to have some time to think. I can send a email without shielding the keyboard from a 2 year old. I am working on getting more organized at the restaurant. I'm looking forward to this long school year. Summer won't happen again for almost 10 months! And by then, I'll want it and be excited for it.

We've had a lot of confusing stuff going on with Samantha's school. I just don't know what to do. Or I didn't. But now a decision has been made. Let me back up.

Last year she went to a preschool when every other kid was going on to Kindergarten. She has a December birthday. So we didn't want to send her there with all new younger kids. Then we had some issues with the teachers, so the decision was made.

The local public school isn't great. I'm usually of the mind that at this young age, if you're a great parent, it doesn't matter too much. You can overcompensate for the school. But it was only from 9:15 to 11:15. I cannot see driving my kid to school for 2 hours. What would I get done?

Plan #3 - We applied to a private school that was way too expensive but, of course, a great school. We could not afford it, but figured we would get financial aid, which we would. In the end we decided it was ridiculous to spend $7000 (before financial aid) on pre-K. And we have another child. Doesn't that set the precedent that you have to do it for the next one. Do the math, actually I don't even want to know what kind of number that would come up to if you sent your kid to a school like that the whole way, and then multiply it by 2.

Plan #4 - Found a local preschool very close to our house. It looked nice. I knew other people who had gone there. She could go from 7:30 to 12:00. We started her. Day 1, they said, "oh, we didn't realize Samantha was starting today". It was fine, they let her go, but still, I had just spoken to the director the day before. I picked her up at 12. They said, "oh, we didn't know she was a half day". And, there was a television on. Day 1 of school and they had a tv rolled in there, watching Barney. I'm sorry, I'm not anti-TV. I like to limit tv. But shouldn't tv be done on the parents time. Not at school? and the shoe had no lesson or relevance to anything they were talking about.

So, on to Plan #5....

Ella's daycare has a preschool program and a spot opened up on that same day. We took it.

So, now I'm driving them to one place. Two days a week. I wish she was going more, for her sake, but I'm working on doing a lot with her at home too. So, wow, that's our schooling for the last few weeks. I'm not sure why I put this on the blog, but there you go...

1 comment:

Ali said...

I have done the math....what with my three kids in private school at $14,000 each a year.
The math makes me cry every single day.